Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's that time of year -- LENT!!!

Today marks the beginning of Lent, 40/46 days leading up to Easter (which is April 12th). Here's what ol' faithful has to say, "The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, as celebrated during Holy Week, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ."(Courtesy of Wikipedia). I believe I've used this exact same description here.

See 'traditionally" (does three years count as tradition?) I've "given something up" for Lent. Myspace, chocolate, and the reading of fiction books. Even though today is the beginning, I've yet to completely decide what I'm "giving up."

I thought about exercise, but there's the slight problem of not really doing it in the first place. To give it up, you actually have to have it -- go figure!!

Then there was the whole sex thing, but somehow the husband wasn't really down for that. (Nor was I for that matter)!!

I did consider chocolate but considering I have Ferrero Rocher, Cadbury Cream Eggs, and chocolate covered raisins in my bag I'm thinking I'm setting myself up to fail. Or considering the abundant loot maybe I do need to give it up!!

There's the whole Facebook thing, but I legitimately use it to communicate, while I probably spend more time than necessarily on it, it wouldn't work...

Books - again, although I do tend to turn to them, lately that hasn't been the case. I simply enjoy the opportunity to sit and read AND I have about seven waiting for me.

Then there's coffee. I have 1-2 a day (a latte and a cappucino). Often 1 out and 1 at home. I was strongtly leaning towards this option, because I do tend to think I need one and I don't really. I enjoy a coffee to start my day, the warm milk of the latte...more than the actual coffee.

Yes, no exercise and diet of chocolate and lattes, you did read correctly, I also have developed a love affair with donuts, but that's a story for another day)!!

So I've boiled it down to this: rather than give something up, I'm going to add something in, and in doing so I will be giving up a) sleep b)reading c)TV d) Facebooking e) internet roaming on any particular day. Although yes I should be journaling daily, I don't. I've decided to journal the Scripture daily for each day leading up to Easter.

Commercial Break: I wrote the above earlier today, and I've sat here typing it up, while seated next to by adorable husband, listening to the dismal sounds of American Idol. I've not had such a difficult experience in typing an entry as I've had tonight. I keep missing letters in the words, forgetting spaces, having no sense of what I am actually typing. It's like an outer body experience. It might have something to do with the fact that I am TIRED (guess what? I get to SLEEP IN tomorrow, I am a slightly excited about this small fact, and nothing, no nothing is going to shake the day), and well it might be the TOO LOUD sound, or appropriately noise currently being emitted from the TV -- please save me from this nonsense!! Ok, commerical break over, time to finish out the Lent thought and wrap this blog up. (Oh, one more -- you know how they do that when you're watching TV and you think your show is about to start back up, and they throw one more commercial in...well here's the one more): ARGH!!!!!! Ok, interuption of the interuption, I don't know what's wrong I can't get my brain to think, it is as if there is a part of my brain that is missing, it is short circuiting... BUT the addtional "commercial" was to express my displeasure with the browser Firefox, I am having issues with Firefox and my blog. It won't save it, edit it properly, nor will it publish it (on neither the Mac or the PC)!!!

To close my Lent thoughts, I'm giving up thinking because obviously my body and brain have already decided that is what I should give up, it's non existent. Ok, so I think I will return tomorrow and continue the Lent thoughts, I'm only getting more frustrated as I keep trying to slog this post.

But in brief: I'm going to be journaling daily -- that's my Lent commitment!!!

No comments: