Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cleaning Day!

I strongly dislike cleaning. I don’t enjoy it. Not one iota. It does not leave me feeling pleased, accomplished, satisfied. Nope, it leaves me with a sense of waste, that I would waste/spend a whole day cleaning. It isn’t that I have/live in a large living quarters and that it takes a whole day, it is because I have such a strong distaste for cleaning that I can generally find any means to procrastinate from actually cleaning. But rather than actually do this procrastination productively (i.e. read a book, or …), I’ll pretend that I am in fact cleaning, and take “quick” breaks to check Facebook, or find new blogs to read. Today I rediscovered “Blognosh” and in the process discovered a variety of new blogs. Of course, I couldn’t just settle on reading one post from the blog, I had to backtrack through the archives and get a feel for the blog, and the blogger.

On top of that I wanted to get to Costco to pick up a Shark to clean my floor, my awful awful floor. A floor that seemingly is impenetrable to any cleaning method. The floor is wood…yet Pine Sole doesn’t do the trick, nor the other three products I have in my cupboard that I’ve used sporadically on the floor to no avail. I keep hearing good things about the Shark, so I thought why not, let’s give it a try. However, I needed to purchase one and this purchase would involve a trip to Costco, which was to be my motivation to have me clean quick (ha) and get to the store. Well, that didn’t happen because I needed to be at the Loft waiting for a package between the hours of 8am and 7pm, an eleven hour window of delivery – fun!! Now it is closing in on 6, and I’ve yet to finish…there’s half a kitchen to put back together, and then there’s me – I think I need putting back together. I just feel that I was trapped all day with this weight over my head, pressing me down…CLEAN…CLEAN…CLEAN…is it good enough? Is it clean enough? A lot of the times I was answering no, so I was thinking what is the POINT to cleaning, my cleaning...

All this being said I think I need to have a discussion with my DH, and hire a cleaner…the kicker is I do have 1-2 days off a week, so really I should be doing the cleaning, but I think for my sanity and well being a cleaner it is going to have be.

However, that raises a whole bunch of other concerns. A cleaner?! Does that mean I am not good enough? Does that mean I can’t keep my own place clean? While the answer may be an obvious resounding yes, considering the previous paragraphs, I have a hard time with the thought of someone coming in and cleaning up.

If nothing else, my cleaning day today produced a blog post, the first in 5 and a half months…and “our” loft is clean, which will make my husband happy, and a happy husband makes for a happy life, oh wait, isn’t it a happy wife, makes for a happy life – in which case, the cleaning might not have been worth it for my husband!!!

3 comments:

victoria said...

Oh, I so know what you are saying! It's way worse with 3 kids, unfortunately. I'd love a house cleaner but I also struggle with the very thoughts you posed, so consequently nothing gets cleaned! Even when I do clean house, it lasts for maybe a few hours until it's a mess again! At least you probably are able to enjoy the fruits of your labor for at least a week!

Great post. I love reading what you write.

Mommy Max said...

Hey, I have a shark if you would like to borrow it. I use it on the tile all the time. I have used it on the wood floors a little bit. I do get a cleaner here every other week. That is the blessing from my hubby. Again, it does not last long, but hoping things change while Sophie is at school.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.