Friday, February 22, 2008

My Dad Is Better Than Your Dad

Do you ever find yourself watching something that is so utterly ridiculous you're not quite sure how to actually change the channel, or better yet even how to turn the tv off?!

I found myself in such a situation Monday night. Monday night at 9PM NBC premiered "My Dad is Better than your Dad," and boy, what can I say but how is this drivel on at 9pm, although if nothing else I give it a corner of a gold star for family friendly viewing, but still?!

I must say that I did eventually come to my senses, and in fact turned the telly off -- and I did so only after 10 minutes of viewing. It did make me think though about that cliched term: "My dad is better than your dad" on a number of levels, the first being for the children who were actually on the show with their dads. How will their relationships change, and are their relationships really going to be based on proving which dad is stronger, faster, smarter, braver, and therefore BETTER -- are strength, speed, courage, and intelligence accurate litmus tests for being better?

I do conclude that my dad is better -- my earthly dad is (but that is a given), but that wasn't who I was talking about... If I was to take the four areas set by NBC (because we all know that NBC is the authority on these things) and hold them up as the ultimate test, I do believe My Abba Father is better --

Let's Take A Look

Courage/Bravery

God created man and woman with the freedom to choose - that takes a lot of courage, to knowingly create beings and gift them with choice. Then there's the whole sending his son to die - how many of you would actually do that? Throw in that whole choice thing, and well you've got a double whammie of courage!

Intelligence

Think first of all of all those instances where it speaks of God knowing: The Lord is a God who knows, he knows everything, he knows the secrets of the heart, God knows. To take it a step further, let's look at Multiple Intelligence: God's gotta know his science - just look at the human body, gravity, space -- seeing the picture just yet. Art - well that is a given - have you never seen nature?! Literature - prose and poetry, he's inspired both and for that matter, inspires still. Home Economics, manna from heaven, anyone? Philosophical intelligence: let's face it, if you've ever read Job you know God's got the handle on philosophy and debate!

Strength

Come one, who is going to refute God's strength - and ultimate strength at that?! Let alone the numerous verses which speak of God being our strength, the strength, finding strength in him - there's more. Let's look again at that whole sending his son - strength in the 100s, 1000s, no - you get the picture - ultimate strength is displayed when having the power to save his son at every step of the way, and not doing so. Even when his son, Jesus, cries, "Father, why have you forsaken me?" God - Abba - still exhibits the strength to not send a legion of angels to his rescue.

Speed

On this one and this one only I give Abba a little slack - because there are actually quite a few instances of lack of speed - 400 years, 29 days - he was teaching a lesson, there's no doubt, and there is the slight interference of demonic spirits. But he is quick to forgive, and that perhaps is where speed is needed the most -- he is quick to offer grace, forgiveness, and mercy to those of his children who seek it and ask for it.

So there you have it -- my DAD is better than yours -- BUT I suppose, if He is your dad too, then well --

No comments: